Battling Maud performance sees them take the points

With Maud leading the way in Section 5, it was still important that they approached this game with the same enthusiasm that they have already displayed especially against local rivals Fraserburgh Utd.

Right from kick-off it was obvious that the home team were up for this game and within three minutes they were ahead when a ball played into the Maud penalty area was finished off by Watt to take the lead.

Maud looked very shaky at the back at this point however within a minute they were level when a corner from Bob Morrice found Kevin Simpson at the far post to head home an easy equaliser.

Maud should have kept their foot on the gas as Fraserburgh Utd upped their game and were winning all the 50/50 balls but Maud were not helped by the fussy refereeing that dogged the evening.

It was 20 minutes before Maud had another chance when Frazer Hall put a high ball into the Broch Utd area.

Nine minutes from the end of the first half Allan Hale had a chance when Hall won a header down the left and played it onto Hale but his shot was into the side netting.

The first half came to a close with plenty of effort from Maud but with little to show for it.

After a couple of half time changes, with Stuart Gray and Sean Bremner replacing Graeme Bain and Kenny Mair, Maud looked to up the pace and straight away Scott Lynch played the ball through the home defence to Morrice who was fouled on the edge of the area when he was nearly through.

The free kick was hit by Hale past the wall and to the keeper’s right but the ball cannoned off the post and across the area and finally cleared. The free kicks for Maud were mounting as the home team struggled to contend with the football Maud were trying to play and another one after 56 minutes by Hale found Jonathan Garden in the area but the ball was too firm and was missed.

The game then descended into a battle with no clear chances at either end but during this time a challenge on Maud keeper Scott Bruce resulted in an injury which proved to be a torn muscle in his arm. However he continued in goal.

The mounting free kicks the home team were conceding finally proved their downfall when another was given 30 yards from goal, this time Hall played a quick low ball into the area before the defence could react and Hale finished off a fine performance with the winning goal.

Although not a vintage performance Maud did show they can battle against teams who are intent on a battle and it was this perseverence that came through with the winner four minutes from the end by Man of the Match, Hale.

The next game is against Culter in Maud’s first Superleague game of the season, at home with a 2pm kick-off.

MAUD: Bruce, Hall, K.Simpson, Rae, Garden, Bain, Hale, Morrice, Mair, Lynch, A.Bremner. Subs: Gray, Ritchie, Reid, S. Bremner, Stott.