Battling Longside earn a point against Banchory

Longside battled hard on Saturday
Longside battled hard on Saturday

Once again Longside showed a never-say-die attitude against Banchory St ternan on Saturday to earn a vital Superleague point.

The Davidson Park boys displayed great character to grind out a share of the spoils with ten men.

Call-offs on the day meant that the manager didn’t have the luxury of a big pool to pick from and hasn’t been able to put the same team on the park two weeks running.

After being unlucky in the last few weeks at least this time the players were rewarded with a point for their efforts.

They travelled to play Banchory knowing anything short of victory would finish their hopes of staying in the top flight.

A McGregor in the first minute was met by Robertson but he headed the ball wide.

Napier got clear of Daniel but the defender recovered well to clear the ball for a corner, Close’s kick was fisted clear by Leiper but only as far as Whelan and he got the ball back into the danger area for Henderson but he dragged his shot wide.

Ramsay was sent clear for Longside and he took the ball round the last defender but he fired his shot into the side netting. A Henderson snap shot was saved by Leiper at the second attempt. Longside were dealt a blow in 20 minutes when Ramsay limped off to be replaced by Ferris.

Butcher turned well before trying a shot from 30 yards but his effort went well over the bar. A Close corner for Banchory was well taken by Leiper under pressure. A dangerous free kick from McGregor was scrambled clear by the Longside defence.

The visitors forced two corners in quick succession but they couldn’t find a way past the home defence.

Just before half-time Napier did well on the right before firing the ball across goal but it was just too far in front of Rogie arriving in the box.

Longside opened the scoring in the 50th minute when Sean Butcher collected a throw in just inside the box before firing the ball past McIntosh.

The lead was short lived as Banchory went straight up the park and equalised when they were awarded a free kick just outside the box, Andrew Close fired the ball past Leiper after taking a wicked deflection.

The visitors regained the lead in 57 minutes when Sean Butcher took advantage of hesitancy in the Banchory defence to chip the ball into the net.

Again they couldn’t keep the lead when Banchory were awarded a penalty, Close making no mistake from the spot.

Banchory took the lead in the 60th minute when the Longside defence failed to clear a ball into the danger area and Ben McGregor was on hand to drive the ball into the net. Tait went off injured to be replaced by Davidson.

The substitute was soon in action when he put Burr clear but the ball wouldn’t come down for him and it was scrambled clear for a corner which came to nothing.

Leiper made a fine save to deny Whelan when he looked set to score.

Longside were reduced to ten men in 86 minutes when Burr was shown his second yellow card. The visitors then scored the equaliser three minutes later when Carr sent Ryan Gordon clear and although McIntosh got a hand to his shot he couldn’t keep it out of the net.

This Saturday Longside are away to Hermes in the PMAC Group Superleague (ko 2pm).

Longside : Leiper, Whyte, Daniel, Buchan, Weir, Carr, Tait, Burr, Butcher, Ramsay and Gordon. Subs: Ferris, N.Davidson, Thomson and MacDonald.