Bad day at the office for Cruden Bay

THE Bay entertained Fochabers in the first league game of the season on Saturday.

All the early pressure came from the Bay, and following consecutive corners Donaldson’s attempted cross went behind. Irvine put a good ball through to Lynch but the Bay attacker was unable to control the ball and capitalise and the Fochabers defence was able to clear.

Another Donaldson cross again came to nothing. In the 12th minute neat play by the Bay ended with Watson putting in a cross which Morrison slotted past Flynn. Morrison then made a strong run at the Fochabers defence but then shot weakly at the goalkeeper.

The Bay had another chance when Lynch won the ball which then fell to Webster.

However, the latter’s shot went straight to the Fochabers keeper.

Glennie was lucky when he fumbled a long throw-in, but he managed to collect the ball at the second attempt.

Harrold put in a cross for Fochabers which Milton headed over. Danny Watson put a ball through to Lynch who ran on into the box, but was foiled by Flynn who made a comfortable save.

A Donaldson free kick on the right was then deflected wide by Irvine. A further cross from Donaldson was met by Webster whose shot went weakly to the keeper.

A break down the right by Harrold caused problems for the Bay defence but the ball was eventually cleared. Webster laid the ball to Danny Watson who tried to find Lynch but his pass was too long.

Corbett tested the Bay defence with a strong run down the middle but his final effort went wide.

In another Bay attack Lynch shot weakly at Flynn again and the Fochabers keeper saved another Lynch effort at the expense of a corner. Johnny Watson then tried to put Lynch clear but the pass was too hard.

Lynch was fouled on the edge of box; the Bay attacker played the kick to Donaldson who blazed the ball over.

Donaldson then found Lynch with a long range pass but again the final effort went wide.

In 52 minutes bad defending by the Bay allowed a cross from the right to be sheared home by Harrold.

Two minutes later Harrold found himself free in the Bay box once again and was able to slot home Corbett’s corner from the right to increase Fochabers lead.

A Lynch shot following a Johnny Watson free kick went wide and a Webster effort was also wide of the mark. Harrold then had his shot saved by Glennie at the second attempt.

In another Fochabers attack McGrath put his effort well over. An Irvine cross intended for Johnny Watson was deflected into the hands of Flynn by Ingram. The Fochabers keeper then had to move smartly off his line to collect a Morrison cross.

A McGrath shot from the edge of the box was well inside from Ingram after the ball fell to him as the Bay defence attempted to clear.

Glennie did well to punch a Corbett corner away from danger as he was put under pressure by the Fochabers attack.

James Watson had a great chance to equalise for the Bay but he put the ball well over from Johnny Watson’s free kick on the edge of the box.

Harrold had two chances to increase Fochabers lead in the dying minutes, but one attempt went over and the other well wide.

This was the worst display of the season for the Bay after their fine start. The neat play and sparkle were both missing.

CRUDEN BAY: Glennie, Donaldson, Johnny Watson, Shaw, Sangbarani,

Wedderburn, Morrison, Danny Watson, Irvine, Webster, Lynch, Cadger, James Watson. Subs:

Sangster, Daniel, Wilby, Sim, Simmers.