Away win delight for Peterhead

Share this article

PETERHEAD finally put to bed a couple of unwanted records as they came out on top against East Stirling at Ochilview on Saturday.

Bryan Deasley and Rory McAllister did the damage for John Sheran’s men for the second Saturday running, but to greater reward than their strikes in the 3-2 defeat to Annan seven days prior.

Sheran made a number of changes to his side for this match, with club captain Callum Macdonald a surprise absentee, forced to settle for a place on the bench.

Neil Duffy and Aaron Conway also dropped onto the bench and Paul Watson missed out altogether as Sheran rang the changes.

Raymond Jellema, Alan Rattray, Lewis Davidson and Dave Ross all came into the starting line-up, with Ross starting in a central midfield role he is unaccustomed to.

But Ross was involved in the first blue Toon chance, winning a free-kick on the edge of the area which captain for the day Barry Sellars fired narrowly wide.

The hosts had already threatened through Jordyn Sheerin’s header, but Jellema’s early involvement was mostly limited to performing ball-boy duties.

His opposite number, on-loan Hibs keeper Calum Antell, was called into action to block McAllister’s shot just before the quarter hour, and the teenager was relieved to see Deasley pull wide from the striker’s cutback ten minutes later.

Although both sides looked comfortable in possession, questions could be asked of both defences and when a Sellars clearance was charged down by Sheerin, only the timely intervention of Rattray denying the former Arbroath man.

And it almost a carbon copy incident shortly afterwards, when Sheerin turned Sellars, and Rattray was again in the right place to block.

But it would be Peterhead who took the lead, seven minutes from the interval. Martin Bavidge played a ball into the path of McAllister who cut inside and rounded the goalkeeper, with Deasley applying the finishing touch from six yards.

Shire were quick out the blocks after the break, and were desperately unlucky not to level when David Cane’s header from an Ally Love free-kick came back off the crossbar before being cleared to safety.

The Blue Toon always looked potent though, and Jamie Redman hit over from a McAllister cutback, just seconds before Ross and Deasley combined to set up McAllister, his header brilliantly pushed over by Antell.

Peterhead finally doubled their advantage from the penalty spot midway through the second half. The home side had failed to clear a corner from the left, and as the ball pinballed around the area, Stuart Beveridge fouled Redman.

McAllister took responsibility from the spot and sent his kick beyond the reach of Antell, who had dived the right way, to bag his third goal in as many games.

It could have been three when McAllister picked out Ross just a minute later, but the former Aberdeen youngster saw his effort blocked.

The home side finished on top, but despite another Cane header coming off the bar on its way over, they could not find the net to pull even a single goal back, ensuring Peterhead would record their first competitive win since January, and their first away win since April 2010.

PETERHEAD: Jellema, Donald, McBain, Sellars, Rattray, Davidson, D. Ross, Redman, McAllister, Bavidge, Deasley (Sharp, 81) Subs not used: Wyness, Macdonald, Conway, Duffy (gk).

Attendance: 287