Another fine win for the Bay

Share this article

NEW signing Kevin Park from Longside was included in Cruden Bay’s in line-up in this PMAC Division 2 game at Fochabers.

In the opening minute the Bay had a chance but Anderson’s effort went wide. The Bay were playing some attacking football with Park playing a prominent role in the opening stages and Fochabers were restricted to sporadic attacks.

However, the home side did hit back with Andrew putting an effort well wide and following a poor Bay corner Evans was called into action as he made a fine save from Harold who suddenly found himself free in the Bay box.

Sturton recovered the ball from an L. Morrison throw-in on the right and put in a good cross which the Fochabers defence scrambled away for a corner. The resultant corner caused problems in the home defence as it bobbled about in the box before it was eventually cleared.

The Bay continued to press with Irvine putting in a cross which eluded everyone, both attackers and defenders.

Fochabers then had another escape as the ball bounced around in the goalmouth and a Tocher header hit the bar.

The Bay went ahead after 40 minutes when Sturton crossed for Lynch to head home at the second attempt. The Bay continued to press with an Anderson shot being turned around the post by Fly and Sturton heading wide from Park’s kick.

Bay had a let-off just before half time when Harold broke clear but put the effort well over the bar.

In the second half, Anderson made a great run down the left and crossed to Park who failed to connect from close range and then the same player put an effort well over the bar.

The Bay continued to make chances. In one a Sturton header from a Park corner was headed off the line by the Fochabers defence and in another Flyn made a save from Lynch following a futher corner.

Flyn was then in action again as he saved a Cadger effort at the second attempt after the Bay player had been put through by Anderson.

In a Fochabers attack Harold was well off target with his effort which went well over.

In 77 minutes the Bay increased their lead when Lynch was upended in the box, Lynch made no mistake from the spot to score his second goal.

Flyn was again the Fochabers hero saving from K Morrison who was put through by Cadger and Lynch had a great chance for his hat trick when he failed to connect from close range with only Flyn to beat.

Fochabers pulled a goal back after 85 minutes when the Bay defence failed to clear and the ball fell to Stuart on the edge of the box. The Fochabers attacker’s shot thundered in to the Bay net off the underside of the bar. Fochabers almost got an equaliser a couple of minutes later when a Harold effort hit the bar and rebounded clear.

Just before the final whistle Lynch had another chance for his hat trick but shot weakly at Flyn.

Another win for the Bay to keep them in second place, however, this should have been more convincing with the number of chances missed.

In fact, the Bay could have dropped two points but for their bar coming to their rescue in the dying minutes.

On Saturday the Bay are at home against league leaders Portgordon Victoria in what promises to be an intriguing game. Kick-off 2 pm.

CRUDEN BAY: Evan, L Morrison, Findlay, Sime, Downie, Sturton Tocher, Irvine, Lynch, Park, Anderson. Subs: R Morrison, Cadger, Sangster, Wilby, Donaldson, Donald, Goodwin.