Another fine away win for Blue Toon at Clyde

Another professional away display from the Blue Toon kept their magnificent record on the road going.

Tuesday, 30th October 2018, 3:26 pm
Updated Tuesday, 30th October 2018, 3:28 pm

Three superb goals, particularly the first and third, demoralised a Clyde team that worked hard and dominated for long spells but failed where it mattered, in front of goal.

It was third hosting second in the division two match of the day and we had a lively start in the Cumbernauld sunshine with a win crucial to both sides in the chase to reign in leaders Edinburgh City.

Clyde’s 20-year-old debut striker Kristoffer Syvertsen impressed whenever he was in possession.

Fast, strong and able to pick out a pass he was a danger in every Bully Wee attacked as the home side had the better of the early stages.

But it was the Blue Toon who took a spectacular lead in the 20th minute, midfielder Scott Brown with a thunderous shot from outside the area that bulged the net to give a lead very much against the run of play.

Soon after Brown almost turned provider squaring from the left side of the penalty area for Jack Leitch but he couldn’t adjust his feet in time to get a shot off.

On the half hour a long ball over the top from midfield by Willie Gibson gave captain Rory McAllister space inside in the area but unusually he was wasteful and shot high beyond the far post.

As half approached Clyde almost equalised, a mazy run from Syvertsen looked like ending with a shot but instead he slipped the ball to his left for Ally Love but his effort went into the side netting.

The second half began as the first half had ended with Clyde fastest out of the blocks and the Blue Toon defence led a charmed life as the home side mounted attack after attack.

With just over an hour played Peterhead were down to ten men, a crunching tackle in midfield by Michael Dunlop on David Goodwillie, and it was going to be a tough last half hour with a man down...or so it seemed!

An out of sorts McAllister came off to be replaced by Derek Lyle as the Blue Toon reshape their line up then it was Clyde who had to do likewise after Tom Lang foolishly received his second yellow in the space of a few minutes. 

After 73 minutes more drama as Peterhead netted again on the break.

Sub Ryan Dow raced down the right, he swept a pass inside to Brown who did likewise into the path of Lyle to pick his spot low into the corner for a clinical counter attack goal.

Five minutes later Clyde were back into it, substitute Karim Belmokhtar with a shot from an angle to the right of goal although it struck the leg of a Peterhead defender in a crowded goalmouth on the way in.

It wasn’t ‘game on’ for long though as Lyle netted another, a brilliant strike into the postage stamp corner from 22 yards out in the 83rd minute to put an emphatic look to the scoreline that Clyde will feel was harsh.