Another cup of woe

editorial image
Share this article

Longside slumped out of yet another cup at the weekend when Banchory St.Ternan fired five past them in the first round of the Dominos Pizza Regional Cup.

It was a disappointing performance from Longside who really should have had the game wrapped up at half time but poor deliveries into the danger area would prove costly.

The defending in the second half was atrocious and was a major contributing factor to the defeat.

The home side had two corners in the opening stages but couldn’t get a decent scoring chance.

Simpson got on the end of a McGregor cross but Thomson was there to clear the danger. Longside had a light appeal for a penalty when Usher fell in the box but the referee waived play on. Cardno got on the end of a Whyte cross but his shot was easily held by Knowles.

The home side opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Usher did well before finding Euan Little in the box and he nodded the ball home. McGregor had a shot from just inside the box but his effort was straight at Thomson.

A Porter shot was deflected for a corner which came to nothing. A Whyte shot from 25 yards went narrowly wide. A Graham cross caused panic in the Longside defence and they scrambled the ball clear for a corner, from the resultant kick Close headed wide. A poor clearance from Thomson went straight to Biskup but his shot was deflected for a corner, Simpson’s kick was met by Biskup but his header was cleared. The visitors drew level in 37 minutes when the home defence failed to get the ball clear and Jack Henderson fired it into the net.

Longside got back in front in the 43rd minute with Usher again the provider slipping the ball into the path of Ross Cardno and he guided it into the corner of the net.

The home side forced two corners in quick succession at the start of the second period but they couldn’t add to their advantage. Banchory equalised again in 55 minutes when Thomson failed to clear a Simpson corner and Josh Robertson forced the ball home. Stainton had a half chance when the ball was played to him by Usher but he pulled his shot wide. Stainton then set up Porter with a great chance but he headed weakly into the arms of Knowles.

Banchory went ahead in the 63rd minute when Jindrich Biskup weaved his way past two defenders before drilling the ball past Thomson. Minutes later Biskup saw his shot cleared off the line by Davidson.

The Longside cause was made even harder in 76 minutes when they were reduced to ten men after Davidson was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Biskup. Two minutes later Banchory increased their lead when the home defence again failed to clear their lines and Biskup slammed the ball past Thomson.

Andrew Close completed the scoring in the final minute when he slid the ball past Thomson from 18 yards.

This Saturday Longside are again at home to Banks O’Dee in the PMAC group superleague(ko 2pm).

Longside: Thomson, Whyte, Beddie, B.Davidson, Craik, Norris, Stainton, Cardno, Little, Usher and Porter. Subs: Panton, Donaldson, Butcher, Duncan and Arthur.