A good start to year for BlueToon

Share this article

A New Year and a pleasant start to 2012 for the Blue Toon and their fans with a fine win that could and should have been even more emphatic.

Elgin were reduced to ten men with 70 minutes of the game still to go but Peterhead dominated before and after the dismissal and rewarded their long suffering supporters with goals and plenty of chances that will give a moral boost ahead of the Scottish Cup tie with Celtic.

Manager Jim McNally made just the one change from the side that faced Berwick and Montrose with Goalkeeper Paul Jarvie taking over between the sticks from Raymond Jellema.

The home side dominated from the word go and could have gone in front after six minutes.

A cross from Davie Donald was only just missed by the head of Rory McAllister and Jamie Redman fired over from eight yards.

Four minutes later some fine work on the left by a resurgent David Ross took him to the byeline where he picked out Graeme Sharp but his shot was deflected wide for a corner kick.

The sending off after 19 minutes might not have been classed as a turning point as Peterhead were already in the ascendency but it certainly made their task a whole lot easier.

McAllister was in the act of rounding City keeper Zander Clark when he was sent off balance by a clip to his ankle. Clark was shown a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity, substitute John Calder came on and towering striker Paul Miller was sacrificed before McAllister expertly sent Calder the wrong way from the spot.

On the half-hour a rare Elgin attack saw a long range daisy cutter from full back David Niven skid wide.

Five minutes before the break Sharp had a glorious chance from a Redman cross but he contrived to scuff the ball into the arms of Calder with the goal gaping.

However, he made amends in added time with a fine solo goal running from the halfway line before blasting a shot wide of Calder from 20 yards to put the Blue Toon firmly in the driving seat.

Rather than sitting on their lead Peterhead sensed blood and Strachan could have scored again but shot off target before Redman just failed to make contact with a header following a corner kick.

Bavidge then saw a shot strike Calder and onto the crossbar with Elgin immediately breaking upfield through Craig Gunn and the former Balmoor favourite curved a low shot off the face of the left hand post.

There was no hint of a comeback though and the game was safe in the 73rd minute when Scott Ross rose to head in a corner from substitute Brian Deasley to send all associated with the club into the Celtic game and more importantly, the one against East Stirling, in a positive frame of mind.

PETERHEAD: Jarvie, Donald, McBain, Scott Ross, MacDonald, Strachan, David Ross (Deasley 65), Redman, McAllister (Conway 74), Bavidge (Wyness 57), Sharp. Subs (not used): Jellema, Davidson.

Attendance -626