A game of two halves as Bay net the points

Share this article

This PMAC Division Two game in Elgin was played under difficult conditions, extremely windy and showery.

Bishopmill, playing with the wind advantage in the first half, pressed in the early stages with Downey putting in a shot which went straight to keeper Cowe.

The Bay retaliated with a couple of attacks with Watson putting a shot wide and then Lynch’s cross from the left went behind after he had been set up by Downie. The Bay then had a let off when Rogers made a run down the left and crossed to Downey, however, the Bishopmill player’s shot rebounded off the post.

Bishopmill continued to have more of like play, but the Bay did manage to reply with Goodwin shooting straight at keeper Yates and then putting a further shot over the Bishopmill bar.

Bay then had another let off when Stewart broke clear and ran on into the box and put in a shot which Cowe deflated onto his right hand post, the Bay keeper then collecting the rebound.

The Bishopmill pressure eventually paid off after 25 minutes. From a Mylchreast corner on the right the ball was forced over the line by Rogers despite pressure from the Bay defence.

A further corner from Bishopmill on the left caused the Bay defence problems. However, the ball was eventually scrambled away and the danger cleared. Cowe was then in action when he saved at the feet of Downey as he broke into the Bay box again.

Watson was set up on the right by Anderson, but delayed getting a cross into the Bishopmill box and the ball was eventually cleared.

A poor clearance from Bishopmill keeper Yates fell to Irvine on the edge of the box. However, the Bay midfielder could only shoot straight at Yates. Cowe then saved the day again for the Bay making double saves from Rogers and Mylchreast in another Bishopmill attack.

With the wind at their backs in the second period, the Bay started more confidently. A Watson cross shot following a Bay corner was deflected away by Yates and then Tocher just failed to connect with a corner from Watson.

The Bay drew level after 55 minutes. Watson was pulled back by Morgan as he bore down on goal. Morrison made no mistake from the spot.

The visitors were now on top at this stage although Bishopmill did have some dangerous counter attacks. Anderson put in good free kick from the right which was collected by Yates. Morrison put Goodwin clear but the final shot was deflected away by the Bishopmill defence.

After 65 minutes the Bay went ahead. Irvine was put through by Goodwin, the Bay midfielder making no mistake as he slotted the ball past Yates.

The Bay were now enjoying considerable possession. Lynch’s shot following a Watson corner was deflected for another corner from which Goodwin shot wide.

Watson tried to put Lynch clear but the danger was cleared by the Bishopmill defence.

With 78 minutes gone the Bay increased their lead. Anderson put in a floated free kick again from the right which Irvine headed home.

In 88 minutes the Bay sealed the game with goal number four. Lynch made a run into the box from the left.

The ball was, initially, kept out by the Bishopmill defence. However, the ball finally fell to Watson who made no mistake from close range.

In the dying minutes Mylchreast headed over from substitute McKinnon’s corner.

This was the proverbially game of two halves with the Bay riding their luck in the first half, but adapting much better to the conditions in the second to run out deserved winners.

Cruden Bay: Cowe, Tocher, Anderson, Sturton, Downie, Reid, Morrison, Irvine, Lynch, Goodwin, Watson. Subs: Webster, Sangster, Donaldson, Evans.