Broch’s Bissett too hot for Longside

Share this article

LONGSIDE travelled to play Fraserburgh United on Saturday in the Superleague.

The visitors made a terrible start when Ross limped off injured in the first minute to be replaced by Stainton and Fraserburgh took the lead in the sixth minute when the Longside defence failed to deal with a high ball through the centre and Roy Noble coolly scooped the ball past a helpless Thomson.

A minute later Bissett ran clear for the Broch but Reid got back to make a timely interception at the expense of a corner. McLeman’s kick was headed clear by Geddes for another corner and the second was cleared upfield. A free kick from McLeman was well taken by Thomson.

A short corner for the home side caught Longside off guard and when Bissett played the ball into the middle, Innes headed against the bar and out for a goal kick. A good move from Longside saw Danton play Usher out wide but his cross went into the side netting. Fraserburgh forced another two corners in quick succession but they could not add to their tally.

In the 30th minute Whyte got free on the right for Longside and his cross found Davidson but his shot was saved by Dunbar.

Bissett beat the offside trap again but his shot was brilliantly saved by Thomson before the ball broke to Noble but his shot was blocked before the ball was cleared. Panton put Whyte clear with a fine pass but his drove his shot wide from a difficult angle.

Bissett went close early in the second half when he chipped the ball over Thomson but his effort went narrowly wide. And in 49 minutes Bissett ran clear again but Thomson saved brilliantly before the Longside defence scrambled the ball clear for a corner which came to nothing.

The home side did get a second goal in 61 minutes when Forbes slipped the ball through to Ian Bissett and he took the ball round Thomson to score.

A minute later at the other end a Whyte cross found Danton and his header came back off the post before being cleared to safety.

Thomson made another fine save from McLenan before a Ritchie shot was deflected for a corner which was saved by Thomson. Longside made a double change in 70 minutes with Campbell and Cowie replacing Danton and Usher.

A Reid free kick was headed across goal by Craik for Campbell but his header went wide. Bissett had a great chance to seal the points when he rounded Thomson but somehow put the ball past the post.

The visitors pulled a goal back in 81 minutes when Cowie played the ball to Campbell and his cross was met by Nicol Davidson to steer the ball into the net.

Bissett put the game beyond doubt in 89 minutes when he beat two Longside defenders in a race for the ball before shooting past Thomson.

This was another day when Longside conceded too many goals and too many players did not perform.

Fraserburgh looked as though they wanted to win more than Longside, but they were never put under enough pressure and deserved to win in the end. Games are running out for Longside to get themselves up the table.

This Saturday Longside are at home to FC Stoneywood in the Superleague with a 2.30pm kick-off.

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Taylor, Craik, Reid, Ross, Geddes, Whyte, Davidson, Danton, Panton, Usher. Subs: Wood, Black, Campbell, Cowie, Buchan, Bruce, Stainton.