Residents of Mackenzie Crescent and the surrounding area have spoken of their delight as councillors refused plans to build a new house at the landslip site.
Plans for the demolition of an existing house and the erection of a new building had been submitted to the Buchan Area Committee.
Councillors were asked to discuss the application at their meeting on Tuesday, January 13, which had been recommended for approval.
The application outlined proposals for a modern style building with materials chosen to reflect the nearby industrial maritime architecture including zinc sheeting for the roof, red cedar cladding for the walls with black aluminium clad windows.
A total of 30 representations had been received prior to the meeting with 25 in support of the plan and the other five were objections.
Speaking at the meeting, councillor Stephen Smith said: “This is a difficult application.
“On the one hand, the principle of a house on the site is clearly well-established, but I have to be consistent and I can’t support it on the basis of the risk of further landslides as indicated to Committee Members previously in the Atkins surveyors report.”
Local resident Peter Buchan spoke at the meeting on behalf of himself and his neighbours in an appeal to councillors.
He highlighted concerns about the landslip and how construction on the site could have an effect on the area.
Speaking to the Buchanie following the meeting, Mr Buchan said: “We are all pretty pleased, it is very good news.
“It was a good meeting and councillor Tom Malone has been excellent in helping us to reach this decision.”
He added: “We still want more work to be done on getting the path to the prison fixed, it looks like a bomb site at the moment and nothing is being done about it.
“We are keen to get it sorted so local residents need to work with the council in order for it to happen.”
Mackenzie Crescent has been closed to traffic since 2012 due to the landslip.