Five year wait to fix fire damage

The view residents see out their front door
The view residents see out their front door

A Peterhead resident told the Buchanie about her five year ordeal trying to get Aberdeenshire Council to repair fire damage in a block of flats.

Fiona Craig was on holiday with her family in 2010 when she received a call from a neighbour, telling her that a recycling bin by her door in the stairway had been set on fire. It was never discovered who started the fire or why.

There was no major or structural damage to the flat on Forman Drive, but the smoke has ruined the paintwork in the communal hall.

Craig said that she has spoken to the council on several occasions over the years to get it repainted, “I’ve lost count of the number of times I have been in touch.”

And she came to the end of her tether when the downstairs hallway, which was unaffected by the fire, was repainted “a couple of months ago”. She was then left confused when she was then told that the job of painting the damaged part of the property was marked down as having been completed.

Craig, who lives in the flat with her husband and two children, told the Buchanie how it continually brings them down.

“We see it everyday, no one wants to take care of the landing because of of how it looks and it is depressing everybody.

“I don’t even like to go out the front door.”

The council provided an update, saying the work will now be done.

A spokesperson for Aberdeenshire Council said: “The communal area should have been painted after the fire and we apologise for the necessary delay.

“As soon as we became aware of this situation we secured the materials for the job and it will be completed as soon as possible.

“Any council tenants experiencing problems can contact us directly on 03456 081203 and we will take apporpriate action.”