Fire Service issues warning on danger of unattended candles

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service today warned the public about the dangers of leaving candles unattended after a tea light caused a house fire in Montrose last week.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus quickly located the fire on the first floor and used one two hosereel jets to extinguish it. They then used a thermal imaging camera to check for signs of fire spread.

Thankfully no one was injured as a result of the fire.

Commenting on the incident, watch manager Mike Cassie, said: “This fire was caused by a tea light which had been left unattended for a short period of time in an upstairs bedroom.

“The incident highlights the fact that candles should never be left unattended.

“The property also did not have working smoke alarms fitted, which would have alerted the occupants to the presence of a fire much more quickly.

“We would encourage anyone who doesn’t have a smoke alarm to have one fitted immediately. Smoke alarms save lives.

“If you don’t have one then call Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit and we will provide you with a smoke alarm free of charge.

“It could save your life.”

He added: “There was smoke damage within the property but the fire damaged was limited to the bedroom.

“Had it not been for their quick response the outcome could have been a lot more serious.”

If you would like to arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit you can complete an online form, call 0800 0731 999, or text “Check” to 61611 from your mobile phone.

You can also find more information about home fire safety on the SFRS website