Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was called to respond to reports of a fire within a derelict building at a builder’s yard in Peterhead on Wednesday evening.
The call, regarding a fire within a derelict shed in the St Peter’s Street yard, was received at 5.36pm and two appliances from Peterhead were joined by the Incident Support Vehicle and a supporting pump from Dyce.
Crews were faced with a well-developed fire and were also aware of asbestos contained within the roof of the building. Firefighters in breathing apparatus used a main jet and a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.
Firefighters then initiated decontamination procedures to deal with the asbestos safely. There was no risk to the public.
Watch Manager Trevor Ashwell said: “We are treating this fire as deliberate and I would take this opportunity to remind people about the dangers associated with entering derelict properties and the consequences of setting fires deliberately.
“We would urge parents to ensure that their children know about and understand the potentially tragic consequences deliberate fires can have, as well as the impact for responding emergency services. Fire setting is an offense – don’t accept it, report it.
“We would also like to remind people about the very real dangers which exist inside these unsafe premises.
“They are not only extremely dangerous for those who enter them, but also for the fire crews who are called to respond to fires within them. These buildings may be structurally unsafe, there may be trip and fall hazards and often there is broken glass and other hazardous materials lying around.”
He added: “Deliberate fires divert our resources away from other potentially life threatening incidents and may delay our arrival time.
“We shall continue to work with our Police Scotland colleagues to ensure each incident is fully investigated, as much intelligence is gathered and that perpetrators are caught.”