Cruden Bay triumph over Whitehills in cup

Share this article

JUST ten minutes into this Grill League Cup match against Whitehills, a wild clearnace by Cruden Bay’s Sangbarani went wide.

In a Bay attack, Irvine crossed from the right but this was easily collected by Barron.

Donaldson’s free kick went straight out of play for a goal kick, then Johnny Watson tput Lynch through but his pass was far too hard and a Cadger free kick midway in the Whitehills’ half was easily collected by Barron.

Good work by James Watson ended with Lynch’s cross being cleared by the Whitehills’ defence.

A run down the left by Johnny Watson ended with Barron clearing at his feet; the ball rebounded to Lynch on the edge of the box but the attacker’s c shot went wide. Another Bay attack saw Barron in action again, this time saving at the feet of Irvine. The Whitehills’ keeper was again in action when he had to move quickly to save at the feet of Goodwin, as the Bay attacker moved in on goal. Another free kick from Cadger from midway in the Whitehills’ half flew well over the bar.

A mistake by Glennie gave Whitehills an opening but Macklin got back to clear the danger. Another chance was presented to Whitehills when the Bay defence again failed to clear their lines; however, Wiseman lobbed his shot over the bar.

Irvine’s shot following a corner was easily saved by Barron. Another Bay attack involved Johnny Watson and James Watson and ended with Johnny Watson’s shot going over. Cadger received the ball from James Watson in the Bay half but again the shot went just over the bar.

Johnny Watson, following a run down the left, found Irvine, but the latter’s shot was wide of the mark. Goodwin caused havoc with his run into the box; however stout defending saw the Whitehills’ defence clear the danger. Just before half time, good interplay between Goodwin and Irvine saw Stephen head the ball away for a corner. The resultant corner came to nothing.

Into the second half and another free kick from Cadger was wasted when his flighted kick beat everyone on went out for a goal kick.

After 55 minutes the Bay went into the lead when Johnny Watson ran down the left, cut into the box and crossed for Lynch to hammer the ball into the net.

Conceding the goal stung Whitehills into action and within a couple of minutes of taking the lead, the Bay had a let off when Glennie fumbled the ball; Ritchie could not capitalise as he put the ball wide of the Bay goal.

Wiseman had a chance when he found himself free on the edge of the Bay box, but put his effort over the bar as Glennie advanced from his line and attempted to rob him of the ball. Glennie then had to move quickly to collect Pauline’s header from a Stephen corner.

A neat passing movement between Lynch and James Watson ended with the latter’s shot being saved by Barron.

In 77 minutes the Bay again failed to clear their lines as Whitehills attacked; the ball fell to Watt who drove the ball past Glennie. Stephen wasted a free kick for Whitehills when his kick, from just outside the Bay area, went straight out for a goal kick.

After 85 minutes, a free kick from Cadger almost beat Barron, but the Whitehills’ keeper just managed to dive to his left, and push the ball out for a corner. The Bay did take advantage this time, however, with Cadger hammering the ball home from close range.

Good work between Macklin and Webster saw the latter just unable to find a team mate. Just on full time, Webster had an attempt saved by Barron. The next home game is another cup encounter against Culter this Saturday August 27 (KO at 2.15 pm).

Cruden Bay: Glennie, Donaldson, Wilson, Sangbarani, Macklin, Johnny Watson, Cadger, Irvine, Goodwin, Lynch, James Watson. Subs: Sangster, Webster, D. Watson, Wedderburn, Sim, Daniel, Simmers.