Player sustains serious injury in incident

A Peterhead FC player has been released from hospital after suffering serious injury in an incident last weekend.

Monday, 16th December 2013, 9:18 am


Dean Richardson (26), a former Celtic Youth player, sustained a double fracture in his forehead, a dislocated eye socket and a fractured jaw in the incident, which is understood to have happened in Glasgow on Sunday, December 8.

Police are currently carrying out an investigation.

Speaking to the Buchanie, Peterhead FC chief executive, Nat Porter, said that the incident was subject to police investigation and therefore no further comment could be made.

“We’re not 100 percent sure what happened yet. It was a night out which ended badly, ” he said.

“Dean is a very popular character at the club and we all wish him a very speedy recovery,” he added.

Richardson, who plays at left back and left midfield, was signed by Peterhead at the end of July.

The Buchanie understands that Richardson was struck by a vehicle while trying to flag down at taxi following a Christmas night out.

Manager Jim McInally said: “He got out of Hospital on Thursday night.

“Some of the boys have been to see him and he’s obviously in a lot of pain.

“I think it’s the whiplash more than anything else that’s giving him the most pain.

“Hopefully it won’t be too long until he’s back on his feet.”

Richardson, who has made eight appearances so far this season, signed for the Blue Toon in July from McInally’s former club, East Stirlingshire.

Shire chairman Tony Ford has pledged his and the club’s fully support to the recovering full back.

He said: “Everyone connected with East Stirlingshire Football Club would like to wish Deano a speedy return to health.

“Dean, along with Michael Bolochoweckyj, were the first two signings made by Jim McInally which started this club’s slow road back to respectability after many years in the doldrums.

“Dean is still, and always will be, owed a debt of gratitude by out club.”