Man killed in Mintlaw over argument about a chicken takeaway order

The scene in Mintlaw outside Michi Indian Cuisine where Mr Shah died
The scene in Mintlaw outside Michi Indian Cuisine where Mr Shah died

The owner of a Mintlaw Indian restaurant was killed after a row erupted over a tandoori chicken takeaway order, a court has heard.

Shahzad Ali Shah died after being fatally assaulted by Hidayet Ozden at the Mirchi Indian Cuisine in April 11 of this year.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard how there had been simmering tension between the two friends with accusations by each that the other was not working hard enough.

Ozden, 53, a first time offender pled guilty to the culpable homicide of Mr Shah, 56, after originally being charged with murder.

The attack, which was largely caught on camera, saw Ozden repeatedly punch Shah , after an argument over whether the spiced meat of an order was to be on the bone or not.

Ozden pled guilty to killing the victim by repeatedly pushing him, slapping and butting him on the head, striking him with an implement, grabbing him by the neck and repeatedly punching him.

Other people in the restaurant managed to restrain Ozden but then realised Mr Shah had started to go limp only seconds after receiving the string of blows to his head.

Mr Shah was subsequently discovered to have “significant coronary heart disease” and pathologists said that the stress and trauma of a sustained assault were a recognised cause of increased heart rate and blood pressure which would explain the victim’s sudden collapse.

Advocate depute David Taylor said the men had worked together at various takeaways before moving to take up posts at the Mintlaw restaurant.

The prosecutor said: “They have been described by witnesses as being very friendly towards each other and great friends.”

He added: “However, there does also appear to have been a background of tension between the two in the time leading up to the events.”

Defence counsel Ian Duguid QC said Ozden was “very remorseful about what took place and very sorry for the death of his friend”.

He told the court that Mr Shah’s heart simply could not cope with what had occurred.

He said: “It is a very sad situation.”

Mr Duguid said: “They had been friends for a number of years and the accused was instrumental in getting the deceased his job.”

Judge Graham Buchanan QC deferred sentence for the preparation of a background report and agreed to a defence motion to continue bail.