Banff circuit hosts final round karting action

KZ2 UK Gearbox - 28- Alistair Smith, 77-Ryan Sharp (Grid line-up)
KZ2 UK Gearbox - 28- Alistair Smith, 77-Ryan Sharp (Grid line-up)
Share this article

The Scottish Super Series fourth and final round came to the Banff circuit.

NKRA Scottish Blue Challenge were also visitors to the third round of the GKC club championships.

Junior Max winner 11 - Jack Gordon

Junior Max winner 11 - Jack Gordon

Feature trophies of the day were the Granville Grubb Memorial Trophy for gearbox drivers and the Pioneer Mutual Shield for the driver to score least points on the day.

Damp conditions in the morning had almost dried for the start of morning practice.

Thereafter the conditions were good all day for fast a furious racing.

For administration reasons the gearboxes ran first in race order all day.

Honda Cadet SSS Cup- Abbie Munro

Honda Cadet SSS Cup- Abbie Munro

Pole man, Alistair Smith who had won all three heats, to the lead at the lights and was never headed.

This was no easy victory as Ryan Sharp was ready to capitalize on any error but none occurred through the fifteen laps final and Smith took the victory by half a second.

The victory won him the Granville Grubb Memorial Trophy and the Pioneer Mutual Trophy for least points on the day (zero).

Water Wallace was chasing in third followed by Neil MacLennan and Liam McGill.

Honda Cadets - 74- Matthew Collings, 34- Abbie Munro, 51 - Joshua Nekrews, 36 - Craig Mann (Front four get away)

Honda Cadets - 74- Matthew Collings, 34- Abbie Munro, 51 - Joshua Nekrews, 36 - Craig Mann (Front four get away)

McGill nipped through at Kevin’s Korner on lap five. Lap ten, McGill moved to third and MacLennan took fourth a lap later.

These positions were held until the chequer with Wallace in fifth.

Close race long competition for sixth finished in the order of Ryan McGuiness, Gordon Hawton and Scott Byers.

The Honda Cadets produced a great show all the way down the grid.

Senior Max - SSS champion - Andrew Harvie

Senior Max - SSS champion - Andrew Harvie

Pole sitter, Abbie Munro, took the early lead.

A scary moment for Joshua Nekrews saw him on two wheels when he clipped the kerb through Shirlaw’s but fortunately landed back on his wheels.

The group of four that broke away were Munro, Matthew Collings, Craig Mann and Nekrews.

Collings took the lead on lap six but Munro was back in front two laps later.

Mann moved to second and took the lead at gate corner with four laps to go.

Again Munro returned to the lead later on the lap.

Alistair Smith winner of the Granville Grubb Memorial Trophy & Pioneer Mutual Shield

Alistair Smith winner of the Granville Grubb Memorial Trophy & Pioneer Mutual Shield

On the beginning of the last lap the order was Collings, Munro, Mann and Nekrews.

As they approached Pit Corner they were all jostling for position.

The short run from pit corner to the finishing line Munro got inside Collings and Mann got inside Munro.

The three karts crossed the line three wide.

Collings got the victory by four hundreds from Munro who was sever thousands of a second in front of Mann.

Nekrews was two tenth back in fourth.

Jonathan Edwards and Cameron Ross were having a race long battle switching positions on numerous occasions but Ross must have had an off on the final lap as he finished down the field.

Edwards crossed the line in fifth.

Lewis Gilbert took the chequered flag in sixth from Ben Burnett, Logan Blake, Aidan Welch and Darren Dawson.

The small grid went off the back of the Junior Max final.

Cameron Evans won on the track followed by Cameron Evans and Toney Logie.

In the Junior Max, Jack Gordon from pole position took the early lead followed by Jack Simpson, Abigail Ross, Robbie Souter, Elliot McIntosh, and Shaun Davidson.

McIntosh moved to third on lap three and Davidson to fourth on lap five.

Gordon opened up a gap at the front to take the victory and SSS championship.

Meanwhile the battle for second was raging initial between Simpson and McIntosh and Davidson joined later when he closed in.

Simpson was rebuffing all challenges.

Davidson squeezed past McIntosh of lap eleven.

It took a brilliant clean pass at pit corner on the last lap for Davidson to capture second from Simpson.

McIntosh came home fourth followed by Ross, Alec McKay and Souter.

In the Formula Blue, it may have been small field but they still produced good close racing.

Scott Keenan had the early lead. Ross Anderson was in front at the end of lap two followed by Keenan, Elliot Patterson and Douglas Simpson.

A number of changes took place but on lap ten the leader Anderson was off at Seafield with arms in the air suggesting a push.

Keenan took over the lead and took the victory from Patterson and Simpson.

Again there was only small number in the Formula TKM 4s but close racing.

The leader was Ryan Duffurn followed by Stuart McDougal, Raymond Daffurn and George Wilson.

Raymond Duffrum and Stuart McDougal tangled at gate splitting up the field.

George Wilson caught and took the lead from Ryan Daffurn five laps from home.

Raymond Daffurn went off when he lost it at the loop.

The winner was Wilson followed by Ryan Duffurn, McDougal and Raymond Duffurn.

Before the Senior Max final, Andrew Harvie had calculated he had won the SSS championship and withdrew from the final.

Greig Sutherland charge into the early lead and was never headed to take the chequered flag.

Initially in second was David Eason but Chris Dickson demoted him to third on lap four.

This order was maintained to the chequater.

Fourth was close between Scott Beattie and Craig Finlayson who had swapped places several times before and Beattie took fourth by a tenth.

Connor Wilson came home sixth ahead of Chloe Scott, David Logan, Lewis McNab and Liam Souter.

Jenny Kellock presented trophies for GKC in clubhouse after the meeting.

Gordon Donaldson presented the trophies for ASKC Scottish Super Series.

NKRA trophies will be presented at Larkhall

Next race meeting takes place on Sunday 10th August.

See for more details.