Six-goal thriller for Cruden Bay

CRUDEN Bay continued their PMAC Division Two campaign on Saturday with a visit to Buckie Rovers.

They had an escape in the opening minutes, when McKessisk punched out a cross to Mark Wood of the n home side whose header back into the goal mouth was cleared off the line by Buchan.

Neither side got the upper hand in the first ten minutes and there were few chances. However, Mike Wood, for Buckie, had a chance but put his free kick wide from just outside the box and then the same player wasted a corner putting the ball behind.

Tocher, for the Bay, received the ball midway in the Buckie half and made a run down the right and put in cross to Cameron who shot weakly wide from the edge of the penalty area.

The home side went ahead after twenty one minutes, when Mark Wood received the ball from a free kick on the left and made no mistake, slotting the ball past McKessick from six yards out.

The Bay drew level on the half hour mark, when Tocher fired the ball home following a corner.

The home side then to get the upper hand: Mike Wood trying a shot from twelve yards after the ball had been headed out by the Bay defence, but the effort went well over.

Ramsay did well on the left to win the ball on the left and get the ball across to K Park; however, the Bay midfielder’s effort was too high.

The Bay then had another escape when their defence was caught flat footed when Legge received the ball on unmarked; however, McKessick moved smartly off his line to smother the ball as the Buckie man advanced on goal.

The Bay fell behind again after thirty nine minutes following a goal mouth scramble; Mike Gauld putting in an effort which Buchan could only help into the net as he attempted to clear.

A neat move between Wisely and Cameron on the left allowed the former to make a run on the left and put in a cross which, unfortunately for the Bay, no one could get on the end off. Walker then made a run through the middle but his shot was parried by keeper Sherman and the ball was eventually cleared by the home defence.

The Bay had an early chance in the second half when a Mair free kick went across the home goal; the ball eventually being put out for a corner by Thain. From the corner Ramsay hit the bar and the ball went behind.

The Bay equalised after fifty one minutes. Ramsay won the ball on the left and cut into the box and put in a cross which the home side were unable to clear and the ball was eventually headed home by Walker.

Buchan then made a good run on the left and put in a cross which Walker headed goalwards from close range; however, Sherman made a brilliant save to foil the Bay attacker. The Bay were having more of the game at this point and the pressure paid off after sixty four minutes.

A good attacking move by the Bay ended with Wisely putting in a cross which Buchan headed into the net. In another Bay move Buchan put a ball out to K. Park on the right; unfortunately, the latter could not get in a telling cross.

In the last quarter the Bay began to fade and the home side got back into the game and pressed for the equaliser. In one attack Ingram headed over following a corner. The pressure eventually paid off after eighty five minutes, when substitute Cooper forced the ball home following a goalmouth scramble.

Although the home side pressed hard in the final minutes, the Bay managed to hold out for a point.

The Bay have a league fixture at home to Fochabers on Saturday 15th December with a 1-30pm kick off.

Cruden Bay: McKessick, Buchan, Wisely, Gendinning, Sime, Mair, K. Park, Ramsay, Tocher, Walker, Cameron. Subs: Inglis, Reid, Whyte, J Park, Findlay.

Buckie Rovers: Sherman, Thain Milton, Matheson, Ingram, Stewart, Mark Wood M. Gauld, Mike Wood, Legge< Findlay. Subs: Cooper, Morrison K. Gauld, Noble, Freguson.