Shock Hatton Cup exit for the Phd Pensioners

IN the Buchan Welfare League, Ardallie faced Mambos in a league game and the away side took a three-goal advantage in the first half with goals from Alan Brown, Paul Cluiet and Allan Stephen but back came Ardallie with a great come back with four second half goals to collect all three points.

The winning goals came from Alec Palla with a brace and one each from Andrew McFarlane and Bruce Finnie.

Methlick entertained Cuminestown and with the visitors getting back to a full strength squad were facing a tough game.

Sean Smith gave the visitors the lead in the first minute and then added a second from a Massie cross. Methlick nearly pulled one back but Alexander cleared off the line.

Anderson did pull a goal back after a free kick was deflected towards him and he headed home. Town replied with a Killoh free kick which was deflected into the net.

A Chris Strachan penalty made it 4-1, Kirk added a fifth from a Smith cross. Robertson then got a sixth. Goal of the game came from a 25-yard shot from Strachan which flew past the home keeper.

Smith got his hatrick in the last minute from a penalty. Methlick’s misery was confirmed with the sending off of Gavin Marr.

Longside Thistle rang the changes in their match against Cruden Bay and it ended in a 5-1 win for the home side.

The goals were scored by Michael Murray with a brace and one apiece from Ewan Little, Calum Davidson and Don Allan and for Cruden Bay was an own goal.

In another league game league leaders Phd Pensioners had local rivals Harbour Lights as their visitors and it was the home side that kept up their 100 percent record in the league with their ninth win on the trot winning by 5-2.

The winning goals came from McKenzie Geddes, Luke Stephen, James Morgan, David Gourlay and Graeme Wood and for the away side was Robbie Mckean and Adam Kendall.

In the first round of the Hatton Cup, Cuminestown faced the unbeaten Phd Pensioners and with both sides missing a few players the home side overpowered the visitors to win by 8-1.

The winning goals came from a Robertson hatrick, braces from Alexander and Bain and one from Bruce and for the visitors was Kevin Hendry.

Ardallie entertained Longside and the first chance fell to Palla but his shot was blocked by Stephen in the away goal and shortly after the same player was in on goal but he tried to lobb the keeper but couldn’t get it over Stephen.

Longside took the lead against the run of play after a good move involving Davidson, Little, Geddes and Allan finished off in style. Bartlett had a chance to level when he rounded the keeper but couldn’t keep his shot down.

Palla did get Ardallie level from the penalty spot after Begley fouled in the box. Davidson put the visitors back in front before half time.

A Geddes 25-yard shot was tipped over the bar by Henderson and from the corner, Henderson saved from Anderson. Palla crossed for Longmuir to square the score again.

The home side took the lead with a well-taken goal by McFarlane. A shot from Donaldson was pushed out by Henderson but straight into the path of Davidson who fired home.

Longside went ahead with ten minutes remaining with a goal from Murray. A Palla shot was blocked by Stephen but it came across to Longmuir to level things again.

The game was heading for extra time when Stephen hit a poor goal kick and Black fired home from 25 yards for a well-deserved win for the home side.

In the Cuminestown Cup quarter-final, Cruden Bay were facing Mambos and this was expected to be a tight affair and it was three goals each at the end of 90 minutes but the home side scored the winning two goals in extra time to progress through to the semis.

The home side scorers were a hatrick from Paul Conner and two from Stephen Brown and for the visitors were Brown, Shepard and McBain.

In another quarter-final match Harbour Lights were facing Hatton and it ended in a win for Hatton by 6-3 with Hatton manager leading the way netting four goals,

The others were an og and Fraser Stephen and for the home side was Michael Rhynd with a brace and one from Damie Duncan. Bain also had a penalty saved by Campbell.

Fixtures for Thursday, June 9:

Gordon Leask

Memorial Cup

quarter-final -

Ardallie v Hatton; semi-final -

Cuminestown v

Faithlie United.

Ardallie Cup quarter-final - Longside Th v Phd Pensioners.

League - Cruden Bay v Methlick (all 7pm kick-off).