Maud fall flat at the final hurdle

junior football

Hermes 3

Maud JFC 1

Right from the kick-off Hermes pushed forward and Jack had a shot which was well wide.

Hermes took the lead on just eight minutes when Dawson was fed the ball on the edge of the box and he was able to curl it past the Maud keeper Dunbar.

Maud drewe level a few minutes later when Buchan played a ball to Conway whose shot was deflected into the path of Barbour who managed to lift the ball over the Hermes keeper Sweeney.

Hermes’ Jack came close with a free kick. Maud had a let-off when Rae was caught in position, but Stevenson shot wide. Kirk made a timely tackle inside the Maud box which resulted in a corner for Hermes.

Jack crossed to the back post where Winton rose high but he headed wide. A free kick was connected by Willox but his header went straight into the arms of Sweeney.

A Smith cross fell to Watson and his shot was brilliantly saved by Dunbar to keep the score level at half time.

Maud made a change at half time with Graham replacing Whyte. Stewart came close to regaining the Hermes lead but his shot was deflected just wide. Graham made another good tackle preventing Stevenson getting his shot away.

At the other end Maud came close with a Duguid shot which Sweeney got down low on his left to push round the post. Duguid hit a fierce free kick but Campbell was in the right place to block.

Hermes did have the ball int he net but it was ruled to be offside. On 70 minutes Ritchie replaced Willox.

Maud went down to ten men after Main was sent off.

Hermes took the lead when Thomson setn over a corner and smith rose high to power home his header.

Maud made their final change of the afternoon with Hale coming on for Duguid and the substitute had a chance but fired straight at the keeper.

Maud went down to nine men after Buchan was judged to have fouled inside the box when he looked to have got to the ball first. Up stepped Smith to send the keeper the wrong way and end the scoring. Hermes had the better of the first half and were far the stronger team.

Maud did perform a little better but after the loss of a player Hermes went in front and controlled the latter part of the game and went on to score a third.

In the end Maud did a great job getting to the final, but found Hermes just too strong. Pirie and smith at the back for Hermes were excellent.

Maud now travel to play New Elgin in the PMAC Superleague on Saturday, October 18, with a 2pm kick-off.

MAUD: Dunbar, Whyte, Buchan, Main, Kirk, Rae, Conway, Fraser, Barbour, Duguid, Willox. Subs: Simpson, Bremner, Hale, Graham, Ritchie.