Longside draw fair result for teams

Longside travelled to play FC Stoneywood on Saturday in the PMAC group superleague.

In the opening minute a Steven Davidson free kick was met by Donaldson but he was adjudged to have fouled and the chance was gone.

At the other end Stevenson cut inside from the right but his shot was blocked before being cleared. Stainer then burst through the Longside defence before chipping the ball over the advancing Thomson but his effort went narrowly wide. A 25-yard shot from McKechnie went narrowly wide with Thomson beaten.

A 30-yard free kick for Longside was fired wide by Steven Davidson. A superb pass from Marchi sent Campbell on his way but he put his shot high over the bar from 15 yards.

Stoneywood were reduced to ten men in 26 minutes when Bain tripped Campbell as he seemed set to score, Marchi fired the free kick wide.

The home side appealed for a penalty when Stevenson rounded Thomson and the keeper managed to clear the ball for a corner, Cromar’s kick started a goalmouth scramble but Longside managed to get the ball clear.

The visitors took the lead in the 34th minute when Norris found Steven Davidson with a fine pass and he chipped the ball over the keeper before slipping it into the empty net.

A cross from McKechnie was headed clear by Beddie. A Whyte cross was cleared as far as Calum Davidson on the edge of the box but he drilled the ball wide.

Right from the restart the home side forced a free kick just outside the box, Cromar’s kick was spilled by Thomson and McKechnie was first to the rebound but the Longside stopper made a brilliant save to keep his goal intact.

A great move from Longside involving Cardno, Beddie and Marchi finished when Campbell’s shot was cleared for a corner, Little’s kick was held by Goodbrand. A 30-yard free kick from Cromar went high over the bar.

The home side equalised in 56 minutes when Fraser Strachan rose to head a Cromar corner into the net. A minute later Norris was shown a red card after a challenge with Stevenson. At this point Panton replaced Little.

A Campbell cross found Marchi in the box and his goalbound effort was deflected wide for a corner, Steven Davidson’s kick was cleared out to Panton and his cross was cleared as far as Cardno but he fired the ball over the bar from 12 yards.

A volley from Stainer went high and wide. Cardno played a neat one-two in the box before passing the ball too far in front of Campbell and the ball went out for a goalkick.

Donaldson got on the end of a Steven Davidson free kick but he sent his header straight at Goodbrand.

Stevenson then ran clear for the home side only to be denied by a brilliant save from Thomson. Just on time Stainton had a half chance when the ball broke for him inside the box but he fired it wide.

Both teams had to settle for a draw in the end but they should both be applauded for trying to play football on what looked a very difficult surface.

Ross Cardno was probably Longside’s best player, he put in a tough shift in the centre of midfield and almost got himself on the scoresheet.

Longside are at home to Deveronside on Saturday in the first round of the McLeman Cup with a 1.30pm kick-off.

Longside: Thomson, Whyte, Beddie, Donaldson, Norris, S. Davidson, Little, Cardno, Campbell, Marchi and C. Davidson. Subs: Porter, Panton, Weir, Stainton,