Faithlie continue to impress in Deejays Nightclub League

IN the Deejays Nightclub League Faithlie United entertained New Deer and the home side continued to impress with a high-scoring win by 6-3.

The winning goals came from John McKinnon and Ryan Whyte, both netting a brace, and the others were scored by Martin Buchan and Fraser Anderson. Replying for the away side was George Heatherwick Jnr, Ian Duncan and Scott Milne.

League leaders St Combs faced in-form Clinton Thistle and the home side took an early lead when Neil Taylor found himself in on goal and lobbed the keeper for the first goal.

A cross by Peter Bruce should have been finished by Dunbar at the back post but Summers made a good save. Simon Whyte thought he had levelled the score but his goal was ruled off as he used his hand to control the ball.

The away side did draw level when a corner was swung in by Milne and Stuart Fowlie headed home. Defender Smith slipped and let in Neil Taylor but he dragged his shot wide.

On 35 minutes the away side took the lead after Milne played in Simon Whyte who slotted home.

Cardno hit a terrific shot from 20 yards but it was straight at Summers who tipped the ball over the bar.

Clinton stretched their lead on 53 minutes when Milne and Whyte combined with Scott Milne finishing off a good move.

A good save by Gordon prevented Colin Stewart scoring another for the away side. Simon Whyte got number four after a Matthew Cowe cross came across the six-yard box for Whyte to finish.

St Combs pushed forward and Cardno and Fraser had shots at goal but Summers dealt with them easily. Neil Taylor came close with a 25-yard drive which Summers tipped over the bar.

Mormond Thistle entertained Rosehearty Thistle and with injuries and holidays could only field 11 players with no recognised keeper so Lawson, all of five feet tall, played in goals.

The home side went on to record a 4-2 win. The winning goals were scored by Mark Farman with a brace and one each from Leslie Fulton and James Cassie and replying for the away side was Matty Biyers and Martyn Robertson.

St Drostans faced New Deer in their league match and New Deer took the lead in the second minute when a poor passback from the St Drostans defence let in Barry Crighton to calmly finish past the keeper.

On seven minutes St Drostans hit back when a Jamie Park corner was swung in and Alan Anderson rose to head home.

New Deer regained the lead after Crighton cut in from the left and fired home.

Into the second half and the home side were level once more when Jake West scored with a rocket of a shot which flew into the top corner of the net.

The Saints took the lead when Jamie Park found the far corner of the net with his lobb. The home side secured the points when a cross came in and was dummied by Watt and Anderson slotted home.

In the Brucklay Cup quarter-final, New Pitsligo hosted St Combs for a place in the semis against Rosehearty Thistle and the home side nearly scored when a looping header by Christie went over the keeper but came back off the post.

The home side took the lead on 20 minutes with a near post header by Neil Christie. St Combs hit back with a Buchan shot from the edge of the box which was tipped onto the bar by home keeper Reid and rebounded to Smith who fired over from six yards.

Pitsligo doubled their lead from a Jamieson corner with Gibby Stephen heading home.

Into the second half and from a free kick on the edge of the St Combs’ box Daniel Kewley curled the ball round the wall into the net.

Jamieson had a great chance to score a fourth after a Stephen shot was saved by Gordon, it rebounded to him but he shot wide of the goals from close.

Jamieson did get on the score sheet after Gordon made a good save from Kewley and Jamieson had an easy finish.

In another quarter-final match Elizabethan Link Up faced Clinton Thistle and it was the home side that went in front.

Clinton fought back to go in at half time 2-1 ahead.

In the second half the visitors scored four goals in 30 minutes before a late consolation goal from Lizzy finished the scoring.

Clinton scorers were Jamie Martin with a hatrick, a brace from Robert Buchan and one from Matthew Cowe and for the home side were Neil Holland and Scott Duthie.


Deejays Nightclub League - Faithlie United 6, New Deer 3; Elizabethan Link Up 2, Clinton Thistle 6; St Drostans 4, New Deer 2; Mormond Thistle 4, Rosehearty Thistle 2; St Combs 1, Clinton Thistle 4.

Brucklay Cup quarter-final - New Pitsligo 4, St Combs 0.


Tuesday, July 10:

Brucklay Cup semi-finals - Rosehearty Thistle v New Pitsligo; Faithlie United v Clinton Thistle.

Saturday, July 14:

Deejays Nightclub League - Bellslea v Faithlie United; Elizabethan Link Up v Rosehearty Thistle; Cheers v St Combs; New Pitsligo v St Drostans (2pm kick-off).