Dismal start to Cup for Cruden Bay

editorial image

CRUDEN Bay continued their Grill League cup campaign on Saturday at home to Islavale.

Despite some early attacks the Bay found themselves one down after only five minutes. The ball was headed out of the Islavale defence to Blackhall who calmly collected the ball, ran on and gave McKessick no chance with his effort from the edge of the box.

The visitors were now applying pressure on the home defence, and with 12 minutes gone, a cross from Blackhall was deflected out to Cormack who slotted the ball past McKessick.

The Bay pulled a goal back a minute later. Cameron attacked down the left and put in a cross which was handled by Hector in the area.

For the second game running, Park made no mistake from the spot, hammering the ball past keeper Robertson. Cameron then set up Whyte, who put in cross from the left which was cleared by the Islavale defence.

After 16 minute, the Bay equalised. A ball through to Cameron allowed him to put in cross which Whyte was able to tap into the visitor’s goal.

The Bay had a lucky let-off when Sime mistimed his tackle on Blackhall; the striker then had a clear run on goal but Mckessick moved smartly off his line to save the attacker’s shot with an outstretched leg. The resulting corner was headed over by Collins.

The visitors’ went ahead after 25 minutes. The ball went to Cormack, who put in cross after the ball had crossed the line for Collins to head home.

Within a minute of the restart, the Bay found themselves two down once more. A clearance from midfield found Blackhall who ran on into the box and calmly stroked the ball past McKessick as head advanced from goal.

With 51 minutes gone Islavale increased their lead. Blackhall received the ball on the edge of the box; he neatly controlled it and lobbed it over McKessick, who was left flat footed as he tried to come of his line.

The visitors were still dangerous on the attack. A Collins corner from the left was headed over by Shand and a Collins free kick from outside the box went over.

The Bay had a chance when Robertson failed to hold a Ramsey corner on the left; however, no Bay player was able to get to the ball, which was eventually cleared.

Blackhall again broke clear of the Bay defence and put in shot which McKessick saved with his feet and Wisely was on hand to clear the danger. McKessick was then caught out by Grant cross but, again, the Bay defence were able to clear the danger.

In 77 minutes, the Bay pulled a goal back. Anderson put over a free kick from the right which Tocher, unchallenged, headed past Robertson.

The Bay were now fighting hard to reduce the arrears. Good worked involving Wilby and Tocher saw the former’s cross just deflected wide by Cameron. A Tocher cross found Ramsey, who beat a defender and put in a shot, which was also blocked by the visitors’ defence.

CRUDEN BAY: McKessick, Anderson, Tocher, Sime, Wisely, Inglis, Park, Lawrence, Ramsey, Cameron, Whyte, Subs: Nicoll, Wilby, Sangster, Watson, Buchan

The Bay started their 2012/13 Grill League Cup campaign on Tuesday, August 7, away to Colony Park.

An early corner for the Bay was deflected to Ramsey whose shot from inside the box was deflected for another corner which came to nothing. The early exchanges were pretty even but Colony Park very quick ion the counter attack with their use of the long ball and always looked dangerous when on the attack.

The Colony park quick incisive play was rewarded after eight minutes, when the Bay failed to clear their lines and the ball fell to Maitland whose shot was deflected goalwards where McKessick in the Bay goal could only help into the net.

Within a minute the Bay were two down when the ball bobbled about in the Bay area following a corner on the right and Strachan, for the n home side, was able to force the ball home.

The Bay managed to pull a goal back after 17 minutes; a good run down the left by Inglis ended with his cross being handled by Crosbie in the box. Park took the spot kick and made no mistake with his effort calmly putting the ball past Fraser in the home goal.

The home side restored their two-goal lead after 26 minutes, when the ball appeared to come of Maitland’s arm and was then played to Strachan who calmly ran on to beat a flat footed Bay defence and slot the ball past McKessick.

Two minutes later a poor ball by Sime on the halfway line allowed Dorrat to collect and ran past a stranded Bay defence to easily put the ball past McKessick.

The bay did manage to mount a couple of attacks as the half drew to a close.

The Bay came out for the second half showing a little more belief in themselves and certainly more determination. .

The home side were certainly finding the Bay attack too hot to handle at times and showed signs of panic under pressure.

However, the danger from the home side in breakaway attacks was shown after 70 minutes, when substitute McDonald found himself, free on the edge of the box; he put the ball through to Roger who calmly lobbed the ball over McKessick’s head and into the net.

The home side did get back into the game somewhat, but most of their efforts were from long range.

To their credit, the Bay continued to try and reduce the defeceit.

Another defeat for the Bay against, it must be said, a very talented and strong side; however poor defending particularly in the first half and failure to take chances was once again their downfall, but credit to them for putting in a far better display in the second half.

CRUDEN BAY: McKessick, Wisely, Anderson, Nicoll, Sime, mair, park, Wilby, Ramsey, Inglis, Cameron.

Subs: Watson, Buchan, Lawrence, Gatt.