Ministry of Defence in Buchan turbine talks

PLANS for a number of wind turbines were put on hold last week, to allow for talks with the Ministry of Defence.

Three separate planning applications were deferred at a Buchan Area Committee meeting on Tuesday until an agreement can be reached with the MOD on possible interference with radar signals.

Applications for one turbine at Yonderton Farm in Hatton and two turbines each at Craigshowdie in Ardallie and Newseat in Inverugie will be reconsidered after the talks.

Turbine plans have been at the forefront of the Committee’s agenda for some time.

The Ministry of Defence has lodged 22 objections to turbine applications currently being considered by the committee.

Councillor for Central Buchan Peter Chapman said: “I hope that the Ministry of Defence will be open to discussion and will answer the questions that we have about the interference with radar signals. I hope that we can come to some agreement, otherwise we may end up with a blanket ban.”

Buchan Area Manager Chris White suggested that meeting with the MOD should also include Banff and Buchan Area Committee.

He said: “issues surrounding wind turbines and interference with radar signals also faces Banff and Buchan planning Committees. I suggest that we should hold a joint meeting in due course to discuss matters further.”

Area Planning Officer for Buchan Wendy Forbes said that Specialists and representatives from Air Command at The Ministry of Defence had agreed to meet with the committee to discuss turbine proposals.

She said: “The Ministry of Defence are currently carrying out trials at three UK locations to determine the impact of wind turbines on radar signals. They believe that they will have the findings within four to six weeks and will make arrangements to meet with the committee.”