Maggot shock for child

12-year-old Louis Edwards with his older brother Luke, 17, outside the Peterhead Home Bargains store where the chocolate bars were bought
12-year-old Louis Edwards with his older brother Luke, 17, outside the Peterhead Home Bargains store where the chocolate bars were bought

A Peterhead mother has spoken of her shock after her son found maggots in a chocolate bar he had half eaten.

Mary Edwards spoke to the Buchanie after the incident which took place on Monday, October 21.

Louis' half eaten chocolate bar with maggots clearly visable

Louis' half eaten chocolate bar with maggots clearly visable

Her son, 12-year-old Louis has coeliac disease which is a common digestive condition where a person has an adverse reaction to gluten. Because of this, he can only eat gluten-free food.

Mary bought five Gluten Free Frank’s Orange and Chocolate bars as a holiday treat for Louis from the Peterhead Home Bargains store.

Louis quickly began to eat one of the bars, but after eating half of it, he noticed something was wriggling.

To Mary’s shock she identified live maggots and eggs inside the bar.

She quickly checked another bar and discovered it was exactly the same so returned to the store in the hope that the rest of the stock would be removed from the shelves.

Upon returning to the store, Mary spoke to the manager who informed her the stock could not be removed until they received permission from the regional manager, meaning they would have been there for at least another day.

Mary said: “I felt sick knowing my son had eaten half of it.

“I gave them the other bars as I didn’t want them anywhere near my house. I was offered a refund but I didn’t take it, I just wanted the rest of them taken off the shelves.”

Louis said discovering the maggots was “gross” and admits he has been put off eating chocolate.

Peterhead Home Bargains store manager, Thomas Serafin, said: “The stock has been taken off the shelf, our Head Office have been informed and the matter is now resolved.”

The Frank Food Company responded to the Edwards family and said: “We would like you to know that we are taking this incident extremely seriously.

“We have begun a thorough investigation to discover how this could have occurred and to prevent it happening again.

“We understand that this incident will have caused you considerable distress and we would like to offer you our unreserved apologies.”

The company offered the family a free box of chocolate bars as an apology but they refused as Mary explained: “We declined the offer of free goods from Franks as the boys aren’t ready to eat that again but I have been very happy with their overall response.”