Uncertain future for Buchan bowling club

The bowling club on Victoria Road was burned down last year
The bowling club on Victoria Road was burned down last year

The future of a popular Buchan facility has been left in the balance after it emerged that the lease has not been renewed since 2005.

Peterhead Bowling Club was burned down last year on Sunday, June 15, destroying the 40 years old pavilion.

Aberdeenshire Council had intended to have the pavilion demolished and a new one built, with the work originally to begin earlier this year in February.

This would have ensured that the club was ready for Spring 2016.

However, confusion has arisen over who is responsible for the insurance and why the lease was allowed to expire a decade ago.

Aberdeenshire Council and land-owners Feuars Managers of Peterhead are currently in negotiations to ascertain who is liable for what.

Both organisations have stated their intention to assist the club.

John Noble, joint secretary for the club, told the Buchanie they expect to hear what help they will receive from the council in ‘three weeks time’.

He said: “It is unlikely to be anything like as big as what we had, but the club is determined to continue.

In the meantime, Club President Thomas Buchan has been trying to secure external funding. Anyone willing to contribute should contact him at thomas_buchan@live.co.uk or call 01779 470299.

Two men, aged 22 and 27, were charged with the arson attack and the case is ongoing.